Menopause is the butt of many jokes but symptoms such as hot flashes are very uncomfortable and really not a joking matter for the women who suffer through them. Every woman going through menopause reacts differently to the hormonal changes taking place and not every woman will experience hot flashes. By the same token, the women who do get hot flashes may experience mild to significant symptoms. Body chemistry and genetic history all play a part.
There are many supplements on the market that claim to help with hot flashes and most are derived from food sources. Why swallow a pill or capsule which might not have full strength ingredients when you can get the “real” thing through the foods you eat? In addition, there are certain herbs that seem to help as well as cutting things out of your diet to relieve hot flashes. Read on for some helpful tips on reducing or eliminating those hot flashes during menopause:
1. Process of elimination There are certain food and drinks that you can eliminate from your diet which can help with the hot flashes. These particular items magnify the symptoms of menopause, particularly the hot flashes: caffeinated drinks like tea, coffee and sodas, alcohol like beer and wine and any spicy foods. By greatly reducing these, you should feel some relief.
2. Soy products There are special chemical compounds in soy that contain estrogen-like qualities that can help you during menopause. The lack of estrogen or lower estrogen levels is what causes hot flashes but by eating soy, you are introducing natural estrogen sources into your body. This can level out those hot flash symptoms. The best products to introduce into your diet that are soy-based include tofu or even soy milk. Supplements are not as effective.
3. Black Cohosh This herb has been in use for years overseas and is just now gaining popularity in the US. Long-term use of black cohosh is not recommended but for short periods of time, it can really alleviate hot flashes. You will typically find this herb in a supplement form.
3. More vegetables and fruits You need as many vegetables and fruits as possible, especially the brightly colored ones. These in particularly contain special antioxidant properties which can help alleviate hot flashes. As far as the vitamin and mineral content, the vitamin E is a great help too.
4. Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acids Not only are the omega 3 essential fatty acids good for heart health, they also aid in the alleviation of menopausal symptoms. Again, it is the antioxidant properties that help cool the body and work for you. Salmon is a great source as is mackerel and other fatty fish. Plant-wise, flaxseed is a great source.
5. Other herbal remedies There are a variety of herbal remedies besides black cohosh that can help alleviate hot flashes and other menopausal symptoms. It is important to note that these are regulated and some people may not react well to them. A host of factors from body chemistry to the medicines you take can be issues. With that said, here are some other herbs that could help: dong quai, evening primrose oil, licorice, chasteberry, burdock root, kelp, saw palmetto and suma.
Kalyx Natural Herbs & Oils is where we recommend you purchase all of your organic, wild crafted bulk herbs, spices, teas and pure,organic essential oils!
Would you like to learn the healing art of Aromatherapy, Color/Crystal Therapy or Reflexology? Become an Aromatherapy Practitioner, Color, Crystal Practitioner, or a practitioner of Reflexology through the certification home study and distance-learning courses at Alternative Healing Academy!
Learn more about Xtend-Life - Micro-Nutriments - The elite of natural supplements. Love life, Live Longer!
For Guaranteed, Effective, 100% Natural Herbal Remedies , please visit Native Remedies
Are you looking for quality vitamins, diet aids and health supplements? Visit the Health Supplement Shop - highly recommended by NHH!
Your Free PDF Health Ebook... Remedies4.com!
If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!