Insects are a frequent problem during the warmer summertime months. For many people they are nothing more than a pain in the neck; for other people they may become a severe problem.
This is particularly true for folks who receive bee stings and anaphylactic shock kicks in. Even if you believe you do not know somebody with this sort of allergic reaction to bee stings, it is a good idea to know how to respond. Your actions may spare a life.
Folks do not frequently think about how dangerous a bee sting may be, unless they have received a serious response to a sting themselves.
Recognize the symptoms of anaphylactic shock so you are able to aid somebody who’s undergoing a life-threatening allergic reaction:
* Severe and abrupt headaches
* Trouble breathing
* Swollen tongue
If you find somebody having these symptoms, bring them to a hospital immediately.
Experts think the reason bee stings are more harmful and lead to anaphylactic shock (to a greater extent than other stinging insects) is because their stinger is barbed. When a wasp, hornet or yellow jacket stings, the stinger remains with the insect and the poison is withdrew once it flies away. Bees, on the other hand, lose their stinger once they sting an individual and fly away to die.
The stinger, which is joined to a poison sac, stays in the skin. As long as it’s embedded in the skin, it can still pump poison into the body. This may continue for many minutes. If the stinger Is not removed it might rapidly turn to anaphylactic shock.
Be mindful of how you take out the stinger. Do not push on the venom sac or this will inject additional poison into the individual. Alternatively utilize a fingernail or charge card to scratch the stinger out. Clean the region with soap and water right away and put ice on the area that was stung. If you notice any of the above symptoms, get the individual medical help right away.
Folks who realize that they have that grave an allergic reaction to bee stings will typically carry an epinephrine (or Epi) pen with them. The pen furnishes a specific dose (0.3 mg) of epinephrine. Even if this does not seem like much, this small amount might literally save an individuals life if they are going into anaphylactic shock from an allergic reaction.
If you have to use an EpiPen on a person, take away the grey safety cap. Put the black tip on the thigh at a right angle and press it into the outside of the thigh. Hold the injection there for a few seconds then knead the injection site for at least ten seconds. NEVER give and EpiPen shot to any other area of the body.
Watching somebody go into anaphylactic shock might be traumatic. However, when bee stings and anaphylactic shock are a possibility it’s best to be prepared. Find out what you are able to about this condition so you are able to help somebody going through it and maybe save their life.
Fill out the form below to receive our free natural health newsletter. It's filled with practical tips, health alerts & more!
As a thank you, we'll send you The Healing Art of Reflexology mini-course FREE!!
Free PDF Health Ebook...