Here are a few common or general ways to use Essential oils:
- Inhalation – a drop or two on a tissue and inhaled
- Applied to a terra cotta disc or other Clay Diffuser and placed in the sun.
- Use a Tea light or other electric oil warmer so the Essential Oils can permeate the room, home or office.
- Put a few drops in a foot bath.
- Add a few drops to your regular bath.
- Put upto 15 drops in 1 ounce of Carrier Oil and massage.
- Put upto 15 drops in 1 ounce your shampoo or conditioner, then use as normal for hair care.
- Put upto 10 drops in 1 ounce of lotion to smooth on your skin.
- Add several drops to a spray bottle, add distilled water, shake well and spray around the room.
We are often asked for the ways we use Essential Oils here are some of the more specific ways we use them.
1. In the dish wash water – a few drops of Peppermint or Lemon. We wash dishes by hand. Although you can add a few drops to the powder or gel when you put them in to your automatic dishwasher.
2. In the bath tub – Lavender or a synergy blend – Theratone is one of our favorites.
3. On the bed Sheets – again Lavender
4. In the Automobiles – Conifer Blend, or Citrus Blend . Although we have a Car Scenter and an Aeron Car Diffuser , some times we just put some on a tissue and lay on the front seat.
5. In the vacuum cleaner – Pine or one of the Fir needles, or Peppermint or Mint Energizing blend, or for a change Anise .
6. By our Computers – Grapefruit, Spearmint, or Rosemary on a small passive Diffuser like the new little Terra Cottas.
7. When we travel – to hotels – we use our Natura or a Scentball – We usually start by diffusing Lavender and Purifying blend blend, sometimes we might add a little Theives blend . Then before bed a drop or two of Lavender on the pillows.
8. We use Lavender on Burns & cuts.
9. Peppermint and Rosemary – on the back of the neck when we have Headaches.
10. Helichrysum on Bruises, cuts and other Scar producing injuries.
11. When we have a back ache or muscle aches – We use Muscle Warm blend , or Dar’s blend mixed in a little Carrier Oil and massaged into the affected areas.
12. Kerchew! – Coughing When we have been exposed to people out in the public who are sneezing and coughing. We will use Purifying blend and Theives blend (mixed with Carrier Oils ) massaged into the bottom of our feet at bedtime.
13. Sorethroats – at the start of a sorethroat – we gargle with a drop of Thyme or Oregano in 2-3 ounces of water every couple of hours. Usually knocks it out within a few hours.
14. Dry chapped skin – A blend of Lavender and Rose lotion or sorbolene cream.
15. Canker sores – ever brush your teeth and have the tooth brush miss your teeth and hit your gums? Next thing you know you have a sore on your gums. A drop of Myrrh in warm water and swish around. Do a couple times a day and soon the sores are healed.
16. We have dogs and so although we keep things as clean as possible – every now and again you smell doggy smells in the house. So we spray some Essential Oils in the air. In our Recipes Files we have several Room Spray recipes. I like the citrus sprays but you may prefer one of the others.
17. This time of year we seem to have a few mice that like to come in, but Peppermint on the thresholds of the doorways keep them from ‘sneaking’ in.
18. During this time of the year, it is always fun to burn a few Candles, so often times, if we aren’t diffusing other Essential Oils will light a Candle or two.