Insomnia is a disorder that can cause many problems, both physical and mental. It can interfere and disrupt a normal life, it contributes to Headaches, dizziness, mental exhaustion, confusion, memory problems, and emotional instability. Insomnia is not a disease but it can be a sign of a more serious disorder such as Arthritis, Asthma, Stress, kidney, Heart Disease, etc.
According to the National Sleep Foundation polls, nearly 6 out of l0 men and women - 126 million people - experience at least one symptom of Insomnia a few nights a week.
In Ayurvedic medicine, Insomnia is often associated with a vata imbalance. Vata regulates breathing and Circulation. People with a vata imbalance often notice irritability, anxiety, and fear with Insomnia.
Insomnia comes in many forms, from very mild or only occasional bouts of Sleeplessness to acute where the lack of sleep goes on night after night, week after week, and even year after year, leaving a person dragged out, stressed and unable to function normally.
Extended use of prescription sleep medications often makes Insomnia worse over the long term. Prescription sleep medications can be habit forming and often do not treat the specific cause of the Insomnia. Sleeping pills can cause morning grogginess, disorientation that can lead to falls or other problems, Memory Loss and confusion. Also, no prescription sleeping drugs for children have FDA approval for that age group.
The prescription drug Ambien is widely known and is indicated for the short-term treatment of Insomnia. Although Ambien will probably give you a good night’s sleep, it’s not recommended for long-term use and, in some people, can cause dizziness, nausea, vomiting and even short-term amnesia. The more common side effects may include Allergies, daytime drowsiness, dizziness, fatigue, drugged feeling, headache, Indigestion and nausea to name a few.
There are 26 million annual prescriptions for Ambien. Yet Ambien carries many dangerous side effects, risks and warnings. Special warnings about Ambien include that you can become dependent on some sleep medications if you use them for a long time or at high doses and some people using Ambien-especially those taking serotonin-boosting antidepressants-have experienced unusual changes in their thinking and behavior. Also, Ambien and other sleep medicines can cause a special type of Memory Loss. It should not be taken on an overnight airplane flight of less than 7 to 8 hours, since “traveler’s amnesia” may occur. Ambien also can affect your memory.
Various natural treatment options, such as foods, dietary Supplements and Herbal Remedies, are available as helpful alternatives to over-the-counter and prescription medications. Native Remedies offers 100% natural Herbal Remedies for Insomnia and Sleep Disorders that are safe alternatives without side-effects or risk of addiction. Ranging from SerenitePlus, Serenite-LT, Serenite Jr. for children, and Sleep Tonic which is safe during Pregnancy, Breastfeeding and for all ages!
Some benefits to choosing non-pharmacologic sleep aids are:
- less expensive than a pharmacologic treatment
- fewer side effects are experienced
- longer-lasting relief (particularly when behavioral treatments are used as well).
Following is a brief overview of symptoms, causes and natural treatment options for sleep problems and disorders and Insomnia.
- Difficulty getting to sleep and staying asleep - This condition continues night after night for a month or more.
- Waking up tired - People with Insomnia often feel like they haven’t slept at all.
- Morning Headaches -This is often called the hangover effect, when, in fact, the person did no drinking the night before.
- Difficulty concentrating
- Bloodshot eyes
- Daytime sleepiness
Causes of Insomnia
Insomnia is often not a disease in itself but a symptom of some underlying disease or problem
- Stress or anxiety - Lying awake worrying about your problems. o Native Remedies� PureCalm assists with quickly relieving Stress, anxiety, panic.
- Depression - Depression either causes Insomnia or causes a need to sleep long hours in an attempt to get away from what is causing the depression. Also, while depression can cause Insomnia, the reverse is also true. Insomnia can cause depression.
o Native Remedies� MindSoothe and MindSoothe Jr. assist with relieving depression, OCD, anxiety and panic in adults and children.
- Chronic disorders - Sleep Disorders, like sleep apnea, and Diabetes, Kidney Disease, Arthritis. o Native Remedies� Insulate Plus and Diabetonic are Natural Remedies for Diabetes; Kidney Dr. is a Natural Remedy for improving kidney health and function; JointEase Plus relieves Arthritis, painful joints, lower back pain and is a natural alternative to prescription anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Medications - Medications for other problems can cause Insomnia.
- Poor eating habits - Eating large meals too near bedtime.
- Caffeine, nicotine and alcohol - Caffeine and nicotine are stimulants. Alcohol disrupts your sleep patterns.
o Try Native Remedies� Crave-RX Drops to control nicotine and other cravings and withdrawal symptoms.
- Lack of exercise
- Menopause - Women in Menopause often experience Insomnia. o Try Native Remedies� MellowPause for relief from Menopausal symptoms such as Hot Flashes, Insomnia, moodiness, irritability, moodswings and restlessness.
Treatments for Insomnia
- Treat any underlying causes - If you suffer from a disease or disorder that is causing the Insomnia, that must be treated first.
- Reduction of Stress or anxiety
- Medication - Herbal pills and natural Herbs. Herbal Remedies such as Chamomile, Lemon Balm, St. John�s Wort, and Passion Flower have been used for Insomnia for many years.
- Relaxation techniques - Meditation. Hypnosis. Soft music.
- Improved lifestyle - Keeping regular hours. Cutting back on caffeine, smoking and alcohol. Making sure the bedroom and bed are comfortable places to be.
Sleep isn’t just the concern of those who suffer from sleep loss. It can also affect your family, you friends, and your community as well. Awareness must be raised of the importance of adequate sleep to health and safety and of the signs of symptoms of sleep problems and disorders. Awareness also needs to be raised that there are natural and herbal alternative treatments available to you for naturally treating Insomnia and sleep problems without the dangerous side-effects and addiction of the prescription pharmacological drugs.
Sources: HealthSquare.com; AskDocWeb; Jennifer Warner -WebMD Medical News; Florence Cardinal-Your Guide to Sleep Disorders on About.com; Science News Online; Helpguide.org
For Guaranteed, Effective, 100% Natural Herbal Remedies , please visit Native Remedies
For additional support and answers you need to improve your health, we have a qualified team of experts who personally supervise our popular Ask Our Experts service!
Xtend-Life - Micro-Nutriments - The elite of natural Supplements. Love life, Live Longer!
Mountain Rose Herbs is where NHH recommends you purchase all of your bulk Herbs, Spices, Teas and single oils!
Are you looking for quality Vitamins, diet aids and health Supplements? Visit the Health Supplement Shop - highly recommended by NHH!
Last 5 posts in Herbs For Health
- Herbs to Help Skin, Hair and Nails - May 3rd, 2008
- Herbs for the Adrenal Glands - April 26th, 2008
- Green Tea prostate treatment - an evaluation - February 24th, 2008
- Green Tea Fights Fat - December 4th, 2007
- The Benefits Of Green Tea - November 29th, 2007
If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!