Making beautiful bars of fragrant herbal soap has never been easier. Purchase glycerin- or coconut-oil-based soap blocks at a crafts store, cut them into chunks, and melt them in the microwave.
Add herbs, color, and fragrance to the liquid soap and pour into molds. Purchase soap molds, or use kitchen items such as tart tins or small gelatin molds.
What You Need:
* Soap base (either glycerin which is clear, or coconut which is creamy white)
* Cutting board
* Glass measuring cup with pouring spout
* Microwave oven or double boiler
* Color chips or liquid soap colorant
* Metal spoon
* Herbs and botanicals
* Essential oil in desired fragrance
1. Cut soap into 1-inch cubes and place in the glass measuring cup. Heat until the soap is melted. In the microwave, it only requires about 45 seconds to melt a few ounces of soap. Heat in short intervals to prevent boiling over.
2. Once the soap is melted, gradually add the colorant until the desired shade is achieved, stirring thoroughly. Next, add the desired herbs and botanicals. Add essential oil just before pouring liquid soap into the molds to avoid cooking off the fragrance.
3. Let soap cool and harden before removing it from the molds. When choosing plastic containers for molds, use microwavable containers only.
You can add any number of special additives to make custom soaps for specific uses. Add them alone or in complementary combinations. See below for some suggested combinations
* For a mild abrasive soap, use cornmeal, coffee, or ground almond.
* For skin-softening benefits, add honey, powdered milk, oatmeal, calendula flower, or barley.
* For astringent, healing, and antiseptic qualities, use chamomile flowers, tea tree oil, oregano, rosemary, lavender, or sage.
* For a fresh scent and to remove cooking odors from your hands, add ground dried orange, lemon, or lime peel, mint, coffee, or cinnamon.
Mountain Rose Herbs is where we recommend you purchase all of your organic, wild crafted bulk herbs, spices, teas and pure,organic essential oils!
Would you like to learn the healing art of Aromatherapy, Color/Crystal Therapy or Reflexology? Become an Aromatherapy Practitioner, Color, Crystal Practitioner, or a practitioner of Reflexology through the certification home study and distance-learning courses at Alternative Healing Academy!
Learn more about Xtend-Life - Micro-Nutriments - The elite of natural supplements. Love life, Live Longer!
For Guaranteed, Effective, 100% Natural Herbal Remedies , please visit Native Remedies
Are you looking for quality vitamins, diet aids and health supplements? Visit the Health Supplement Shop - highly recommended by NHH!
Free PDF Health Ebook of the Day Remedies4.com!
If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!